Eustace is now quite stylin' in his vest. As I mentioned, it's made of some great vintage fabric I found a while back. I've been waiting for a really great reason to break into it. And this vest is just perfect in this material.
I basically tried to pattern it after the shirt. It came together pretty easily. I had to re-work the V in the front a couple times but other than that - pretty smooth. And by pretty smooth, I mean I didn't toss the whole project and stomp out of the craftroom in a rage.
Here's my process for making a Eustace vest:
- Trace existing shirt onto paper.
- Shape into vest - not shirt.
- Cut out.
- "Try on" Eustace. Not right.
- Trace wrong vest pattern on new paper with corrections.
- Try on Eustace. Not right. Ugh.
- Repeat. Ah. Pretty good this time.
- Cut fabric - leaving seam allowance....aaaand a little wiggle room just in case "pretty good" isn't good enough. (Do I know me, or what?)
- Try it on Eustace. Not quite right. (Told ya.)
- Cut some wonky areas.
- Try on Eustace. Thank goodness - looks like it's gonna work.
- Skip the front for now - go sew up the edges b/c I'm getting sick of drawing vest outlines and Eustace is sick of trying them on.
- Jam sewing machine because teeny tiny vest seam gets stuck in bobbin thingy.
RipGently pry material out of machine cursing and demandingbegging my machine not to rip my material. Phew, got it.
- Adjust sewing method -try again. Got it.
- Jam. &@%$#!!
- Finish a couple parts by hand.
- Done! Yay!!
- Onto the front...
Again, I like how it turned out. And I found the perfect vintage button in under 5 minutes! That might be a record.
Tonight I'm working on his boots since I found some salvaged suede scraps today in the color/texture I was looking for. If you ever get the chance to try a craft where you sew some suede by hand - DON'T! Geesh! I didn't realize how difficult this was going to be. Oh well. I think they'll turn out really well at least. I'll keep you posted!